August 2017 Minutes
Unofficial M I N U T E S
BOARD OF EDUCATION DISTRICT #62
MONDAY, AUGUST 14, 2017
SCRIBNER – SNYDER BAND BUILDING
Board Members Present: Mike Fischer, Laura Schnoor, Malia Nemecek, Lynn Schnoor, William French, Don Beck
Board Members Absent: Malia Nemecek came at 7:37 p.m.
Others Present: Supt. Ginger Meyer, Principal Brad Stithem, Recording Secretary Sharon Meyer
President Mike Fischer called the regular meeting of School Board #62 to order on Monday, August 14, 2017, at 7:30 p.m. A call of roll showed 5 members present, Nemecek absent and 4 guest.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Open Meetings Act:
The board meeting will be conducted in accordance with the Open Meetings Act.
Approval of the Consent Agenda:
Lynn Schnoor moved to accept the consent Agenda which includes the approval of the agenda, the July 10, 2017 Minutes with correction, Treasurers (attachment 1) and Financial (attachment 2) reports and the actual General Fund (attachment 3), expenses, and policy #508.13 (School Wellness Policy) has been placed on file in the policy book. French seconded and motion carried 5-yes.
Principal Stithem reported on the following items:
- Elementary Open House will be held on Tuesday, August 15 from 6:00 -7:00 p.m.
- 7th Grade Orientation/9th Grade Computer Boot Camp will be held on Tuesday, August 15 from 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.
- Students begin school on August 16th.
- Coaches have reported a successful start of the fall sports season.
- Plans have been made for the upcoming solar eclipse which takes place on August 21st.
- Like to welcome all the staff and students back to another exciting year at SSCS. Big thanks to all the staff who worked very hard this summer to get the buildings and grounds to look great!
Superintendent Meyer reported on the following items:
- Fence is almost completed.
- Skywave is working on moving fiber to all the buildings.
- Anita Archer In-Service went very well.
- The Energy Bus Book written by Jon Gordon, was given to all staff and board members.
- Karen Haase will be training staff on Harassment and Digital Citizenship on Tuesday, August 15th.
- Booster Club Sports Kickoff will be held on August 23rd.
Discussion was held regarding building plans and demolition of old High School. Jon Carlson from Carlson West Povondra Architects presented the plans. Decision was made to hire an abatement company to test for asbestos in the 1923 High School Building.
Discussion was held regarding building and grounds matters. Laura Schnoor made a motion to proceed with the first step of advertising for RFQ’s. Lynn Schnoor seconded and motion carried 6-yes.
French made a motion to approve the Magnum Builders Corporation to replace the roof on the main high school building. Nemecek seconded and motion carried 6-yes.
Discussion was held regarding Coop matters.
There being no further business, Beck moved for adjournment at 9:03 p.m., Lynn Schnoor seconded and motion carried 6-yes.
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education of District #62, Dodge County, will be Monday, September 11, 2017, at 7:30 p.m., at the Scribner –Snyder Attendance Center. Agenda items are kept current in the superintendent’s office and may be inspected during regular business hours.