March 2020 Minutes
Unofficial M I N U T E S
BOARD OF EDUCATION DISTRICT #62
MONDAY, MARCH 9, 2020
SCRIBNER – SNYDER BAND BUILDING
Board Members Present: Mike Fischer, Laura Schnoor, Malia Nemecek, Don Beck, Cory Schlueter, Andrea Vacha
Board Members Absent:
Others Present: Supt. Ginger Meyer, Principal Brad Stithem, Recording Secretary Sharon Meyer,
President Laura Schnoor called the regular meeting of School Board #62 to order on Monday, March 9, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. A call of roll showed all members present. 15 guests present.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Open Meetings Act:
The board meeting will be conducted in accordance with the Open Meetings Act.
Approval of the Consent Agenda:
Vacha moved to accept the consent Agenda which includes the approval of the agenda, the February 10, 2020 Minutes, & February 24, 2020 Special Board Minutes, Treasurers (attachment 1) Financial (attachment 2) reports and the actual General Fund (attachment 3), expenses and placed them on file. Nemecek seconded and motion carried 6-yes.
Wayne Beck approached the Board with his concerns regarding the possible merger.
Principal Stithem reported on the following items:
- Senior Sneak Trip will take place on March 18-20. The class of 2020 is changing it up and will be traveling to Kansas City.
- Pre-school and Kindergarten Round-Up was held on March 4, 2020.
- Mr. Poessnecker is working hard to get the students ready to perform this year’s musical “The Wizard of OZ” which will be held on March 28th at 7:00 p.m. and March 29 at 1:30 p.m. SSCS is also holding a benefit for Tom Baker.
- The NSCAP testing window is set for March 16th – April 24th. The Junior class will be taking the ACT test on March 24th.
- Students/Staff/Parent of the Month are as follows: Harleagh Jindra (3rd grade), Jakob Bartholomew (7th grade), Meredith Rolf (elementary staff), Michelle Ryun (high school staff), and Janis Baker (parent).
Superintendent Meyer reported on the following items:
- External Safety and Security audit was completed by Chief Brainard.
- Coronavirus Plan is in place and also working with Three Rivers to keep us updated.
Discussion was held regarding buildings and grounds matters. TRANE Representative Brent Jackson updated the Board regarding the proposed 2020 projects. Will table this discussion and have Building and Grounds Committee gather information and discuss at next board meeting.
Discuss potential reorganization with neighboring school district. Josh Schauer was in attendance. It was moved by Schlueter to go into closed session at 7:13 p.m. to discuss the strategy session with respect to negotiations and legal strategies regarding potential merger and legal issues. Nemecek seconded and motion carried 6-yes.
President Schnoor stated that a motion was made by Nemecek that the Board of Education go into closed session at 7:13 p.m. to discuss the strategy session with respect to negotiations and legal strategies regarding potential merger and legal issues.
Fischer moved the members come from closed session at 7:57 p.m., Beck seconded and motion carried 6-yes.
Schlueter made a motion to approve the Interim Superintendent contract to Joe Peitzmeier. Vacha seconded and motion carried 6-yes.
Fischer made a motion with great sadness, to accept the resignation of Arlene Alsmeyer. Thank you for all the years of service to SSCS and congratulations to you on your retirement. Schlueter seconded and motion carried 6-yes.
Discussion was held regarding Americanism and Civics Plan. The Committee will take all steps to ensure compliance with Nebraska law.
There being no further business, Nemecek moved for adjournment at 8:06 p.m., Fischer seconded and motion carried 6-yes.
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education of District #62, Dodge County, will be Monday, April 13, 2020, at 7:30 p.m., at the Scribner –Snyder Attendance Center. Agenda items are kept current in the superintendent’s office and may be inspected during regular business hours.