February 2022 Minutes
Unofficial M I N U T E S
BOARD OF EDUCATION DISTRICT #62
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 2022 @ 6:30 P.M.
SCRIBNER – SNYDER BAND BUILDING
Open the Meeting
Call the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. Scribner-Snyder Vice President, Mike Fischer presiding.
Open Meetings Act
Notice of this meeting was properly published in a newspaper of general circulation by advance Public Notice with notice and advance agenda given to all members of the board prior to the meeting date. Scribner-Snyder personnel Joe Peitzmeier, Brad Stithem, Sharon Meyer and Malia Nemecek were in attendance.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
A call of roll showed 5 members present: Don Beck, Mike Fischer, Matt Kruse, Cory Schlueter and Andrea Vacha. Absent: Laura Schnoor
Welcoming of Visitors
Sponsor Kim Drey and FCCLA President Jillian Dames reported on things happening during FCCLA week and on projects.
Board Members – Was noted that an ad recognizing School Board Appreciation Week was placed in the local paper.
Principal Stithem reported on the following items:
- NSCAS/Maps testing is complete.
- Happy Note Program – a way to promote positive feedback to parents about their child.
- In the process of selecting new Reading/Language Art curriculum.
- Parent Teacher Conferences – February 9th.
- Would like to welcome Casey Gustafson as the newest member of the SSCS Crisis and Safety Team. The Crisis Team will be conducting some safety drills this spring.
Superintendent Peitzmeier reported on the following items:
- Legislative Issues:
-School Food Service Reimbursement
-Property Tax Refund
-Old High School possibilities
-Attended the Legislative Issues Conference
-Did not attend the Board President Workshop
-Motivational Speaker, Cara Filler presented to the 7th-12th grade students.
She focused on Safe and Responsible Driving and Decision Making.
-Midland Interview Fair
-After School Program
-Ordered Gaming Computers for E-Sports
Updated the Board on Superintendent attendance/absences
Director - Malia Nemecek – AD/Data/Student Services
- Congratulations to the Girls Wrestling Team and coaches for their dedication to the sport.
- Basketball Sub Districts start Feb 14th for girls and Feb 21st for boys. Good Luck!
- Speech team placed Runner-Up at Logan View Speech meet. Speech Showcase Night will be held on March 3rd at 6:30 p.m., Conference Speech is Feb 23rd and District Speech is March 4th.
- Public performances for the Musical Singing in the Rain will be March 26th at 7:00 pm and March 27th at 1:00 p.m.
- Quiz Bowl – Won 1st round and will play 2nd round on Friday
- Spring sports practice begins the end of February.
- Kid’s Club started in February.
- Data Report – Winter testing is complete and received results from Bright Bytes Culture survey.
- School Improvement External Visit is on February 20-22.
Approval of the Consent Agenda
Vacha moved to approve the Consent Agenda as presented with excusing the absence of Laura Schnoor. This includes the approval of the agenda, the January 10, 2022 Minutes, Treasurers Report (attachment 1), Financial Reports (attachment 2), the actual General Fund expenses (attachment 3) and placed them on file. Schlueter seconded and motion carried 5-yes, 1-absent.
Discuss action in regards to city of Scribner’s Economic Development Director hiring a Community Development Specialist
Vacha moved that SSCS Board will support the cities hiring of an Economic Development Specialist. Beck seconded and motion carried 5-yes, 1-abstain (Kruse), and 1-absent.
Consider and Act on Hiring of Staff
Schlueter moved that Megan Stock, be hired as a K-12 Art Teacher for the 2022-2023 school year. Vacha seconded and motion carried 5-yes, 1-absent
Consider and take Necessary Action Regarding Early Retirement Incentive Application
Vacha moved to approve the application of Marsha Silver for the Early Retirement Incentive Program per policy 408.06 effective at the end of the 2021-2022 contracted school year. Schlueter seconded and motion carried 5-yes, 1-absent.
Schlueter moved to accept the resignation, with regret, of Carol Toman. Vacha seconded and motion carried 5-yes, 1-absent. Thank You Carol for your years of service and commitment to SSCS.
Discuss, Consider and Take all Necessary Action to Approve the School Calendar for 2022-2023
Vacha moved to approve school calendar #2 with some revisions for the 2022-2023 school year. Schlueter seconded and motion carried 5-yes, 1-absent.
Discuss, Consider and Take Necessary Action to Combine 5th and 6th Grade for 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 School Years
After discussion item died for lack of motion.
Consider and Take Necessary Action with Regard to Superintendent Contract Renewal
Schlueter moved to approve an offer to Superintendent Peitzmeier’s contract for the 2022-2023 school year with the proposed compensation package. Vacha seconded and motion carried 5-yes, 1-absent.
- COVID-19 Updates
- Facility Study/Board Retreat will be held on February 23rd.
- Co-op for Volleyball, Softball and Girls Wrestling
Vacha moved to enter executive session at 8:25 p.m. for the purpose of strategy session relating to current litigation. Beck seconded and motion carried 5-yes, 1-absent.
Motion to Return to Regular Session
Vacha moved to resume regular session at 8:50 p.m. Schlueter seconded and motion carried 5-yes, 1-absent.
There being no further business on the agenda of this meeting, Vice President Mike Fischer adjourned the meeting at 8:51 p.m.
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education of District #62, Dodge County, will be Wednesday, March 9, 2022, at 6:30 p.m., in the Scribner–Snyder Band Room. Agenda items are kept current in the superintendent’s office and may be inspected during regular business hours.